×
A-  A A+

Gwalior Fort 01:

This image is showing Gwalior fort.The fortress stands on a flat-topped, sheer-sided and isolated sandstone hill. The hill rises up to 300 feetabove the surrounding plains, and is long and narrow, measuring approximately 3 kms from north to southand from 600 to 2,800 feet, east to west. The sides of the hill are revetted so that the fort wall seems to growout of the hillside.The citadel of Gwalior had been inhabited from the tenth century. In 950 A.D. a Hindu dynasty was founded there by Suraj Pal. When this became extinct in 1129 A.D., it was followed by the Parihari dynasty, which held the citadel until it was caputred by the Delhi emperor Iltutmish in 1232 A.D. In 1398 A.D., Bir Singh Deo, aTomar Rajput, took advantage of the turmoil caused by Timur’s invasion. He became the king of Gwalior andestablished the Tomar dynasty. Man Singh who came to power in 1486 A.D., was the greatest of the Tomar rulers. He died in 1516 A.D. and his son Vikramaditya controlled Gwalior until 1518 A.D., when Ibrahim Lodi successfully concluded a two year siege and won back the fortress for the Delhi sultanate. The Mughals held the fort till the mid-eighteenth century, until the Marathas conquered it in 1754 A.D. For the next 50 years, the fort was invaded by different dynasties till it was taken over by the Scindias. During this long and varied history, many buildings were erected in or below the fortress, including palace sand temples which include Man Singh Palace, Gujari Mahal, Saas-Bahu temple Telika Mandir.
More Info
License:[Source CCRT ]Feb. 20, 2017, 11:57 a.m.
Download

New comment(s) added. Please refresh to see.
Refresh ×
Comment
×

×